When a Foundation Means "Something Free Is Coming"
Reflection : When a Foundation Means "Something Free Is Coming"
One of the biggest surprises I encountered when I started community development work was the reaction people had when I introduced myself as part of a foundation.
The moment I mentioned that we were a foundation, many people immediately assumed that we had come to distribute something—money, food, clothing, school supplies, or other items. The expectation was often so strong that it caught me off guard. After several similar encounters, I found myself asking a deeper question:
How did we get here?
As I spent more time working with communities, I began to understand where these expectations came from. For many people, their experiences with foundations and non-governmental organizations have been largely shaped by donation-driven interventions. Organizations arrive, distribute items, take photographs, complete their projects, and move on. Over time, communities naturally begin to associate the presence of an NGO or foundation with receiving material support.
This expectation became particularly visible whenever I introduced projects that required active community participation. Instead of asking what we had brought, I was asking people to contribute ideas, volunteer their time, help mobilize others, or take responsibility for sustaining activities after implementation.
To my surprise, some community members viewed these requests as unusual. Others seemed disappointed. They were accustomed to being beneficiaries, not partners.
This experience led me to reflect on an uncomfortable but important question:
Have some development efforts unintentionally created a culture of dependency in certain communities?
This is not a criticism of organizations that provide relief or humanitarian assistance. In many situations, emergency support is necessary and can save lives. Communities facing disasters, poverty, conflict, or other challenges often require immediate assistance.
However, long-term development is different from short-term relief.
True development goes beyond providing resources. It involves building local capacity, strengthening leadership, encouraging problem-solving, and creating opportunities for people to take ownership of their own progress. Sustainable change is more likely when community members see themselves as active contributors rather than passive recipients.
Over the years, I have come to appreciate that one of the most important stages of community development happens before any project begins. It involves building trust, managing expectations, and helping communities understand that meaningful change requires participation from everyone involved.
Development works best when it is done with people, not merely for them.
This lesson continues to shape the way I approach community engagement through Ayeyi Impact Foundation. Whenever we enter a community, we strive to create partnerships rather than dependency. We want community members to see themselves as owners of the process and custodians of the outcomes.
The journey is not always easy, but it is often the foundation for sustainable impact.
Reflection Question
Have you observed similar expectations in your community or field of work? What do you think causes them, and how can development practitioners encourage greater community ownership?
I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
— Tsekpokumah Richard
Founder, Ayeyi Impact Foundation

To me, it's often because people have seen outsiders come in, solve a problem, and leave, so they naturally wait for the next person to do the same. I think the best way to change that is to let communities take part in every step instead of making decisions for them.
ReplyDelete