Why I Started Ayeyi Impact: A Youth Leader's Call to Action
Why I Started Ayeyi Impact: A Youth Leader's Call to Action
Every meaningful change begins with a simple decision: the decision to act.
For me, that journey began long before Ayeyi Impact Foundation was established. As a young student growing up in Ghana, I was introduced to community leadership through the Rights of the Child Club, supported by Plan International. Through the training and opportunities I received, I learned that age is not a barrier to leadership—and that every individual has the power to influence positive change.
Those early experiences shaped the way I viewed my community. I saw challenges that affected people's health, education, and opportunities. But I also saw something else: the untapped potential of young people. Many wanted to contribute, but they lacked the platform, support, and guidance needed to turn their ideas into action.
One of my earliest leadership experiences came when I was in Primary Six. Through the Rights of the Child Club, I found myself educating community members, mobilizing young people, and participating in community clean-up exercises. Although I was young, I learned that meaningful change does not depend on age—it depends on the courage to step forward and serve. That experience planted a seed that would continue to grow throughout my life.
As I grew older, my passion for community development deepened. I became increasingly involved in education, youth engagement, environmental awareness, and community mobilization. Through these experiences, I realized that sustainable development is not something that happens to communities—it happens when communities are actively involved in creating it.
That realization led to the birth of Ayeyi Impact Foundation.
Ayeyi Impact Foundation was founded on a simple but powerful belief: young people are not just the leaders of tomorrow; they are leaders today. When equipped with knowledge, skills, and opportunities, they can become powerful agents of change in their schools, communities, and beyond.
Our work focuses on three interconnected areas: climate action, youth leadership, and community well-being. We believe that addressing environmental challenges requires informed and empowered citizens. We believe that leadership is not about titles but about service. And we believe that healthy, resilient communities are built when people work together toward a common purpose.
Over time, this vision has taken us into communities across the Oti Region, where we have engaged residents on environmental responsibility, organized clean-up exercises, promoted healthy living practices, and encouraged young people to take ownership of local challenges. We have witnessed firsthand the power of collective action and the impact that even small efforts can create when sustained over time.
The climate crisis remains one of the defining challenges of our generation. Across Ghana and around the world, communities are already experiencing its effects. Yet I remain hopeful. I am hopeful because I have seen young people step forward with ideas, energy, and determination. I am hopeful because I have seen communities embrace change when given the opportunity and support to do so.
This blog is an extension of that vision.
Here, I will share stories from the field, lessons learned through community engagement, reflections on youth leadership, and insights from our climate action initiatives. My goal is not only to document our journey but also to inspire more people to become active participants in creating the future they want to see.
The challenges before us are significant, but so is our capacity to address them.
The question is not whether change is possible.
The question is whether we are willing to take responsibility for making it happen.
Welcome to the journey.
Tsekpokumah Richard
Founder, Ayeyi Impact Foundation
Educator | Youth Leader | Climate Advocate
Learn more about our work: www.ayeyiimpactfoundation.org

Inspiring
ReplyDeleteReading this reminded me that every impactful initiative starts with someone who simply decides to act. Thank you for choosing to make a difference and for staying committed to the vision.
ReplyDelete